Old School Natural Styles

Back in the day, I was an avid reader of all black hair and style magazines, with Essence at the top of my list. I was on the lookout for pictures of natural hairstyles.  On a regular basis, the magazines gave me what I needed, and I’d cut out the pictures and put them in my huge hairstyle picture album that I have been compiling for many years. These pictures are from the 80’s and 90’s, and I believe anyone bold enough can rock any of these styles.  But don’t be deceived, you have to be secure in your natural self without fear of negative comments, but not overly affected by praise and awe either.  Enjoy!

1. Thandi says:

Those are some cool pics!You're so blessed!Who'd have thought to keep such pictures!Talk about being creative!

Thank Thandi! I'd just been clipping them from my mags since the early 1990s, when I subscribed to Essence magazine. I must have thought I'd be a stylist one day!

3. Beautiful!!!

4. Mark says:

I really like the 4th and 5th look… but they are ALL beautiful in their own right..!

I love the thick lush natural hair of sister number five.

5. Ruth says:

#5 from the top is my usual style. I do buns when my hair decides to do its own business, but under ordinary conditions, I just can’t be bothered with the bobby pins. Freedom! 😀

You have that thick lush hair, don’t you? I’m jealous.