Music That Got Your Grand Parents and Parents Over

Are you familiar with Sam Cooke and the Soul Stirrers?  Or Sam Cooke without the Soul Stirrers? Of course you are.  You know all about Wonderful World, don’t you?  Well, I have recently learned a little more about the good Gospel music of Sam Cooke.  It started when a visiting pastor came to our church and preached the gospel.  He was a young man, about mid 40s and as it is proper and fitting to do in the pulpit of another church, he gave out all manner of greetings and thanks–we black folks do have decorum, don’t you know–and then he sang a song to invoke the Spirit.  He sang a beautiful song that I had never heard before, by Sam Cooke and the Soul Stirrers, called Touch the Hem of His Garment.  He had a very beautiful voice as well as being a good preacher.  We black folks love it when we have multitalented black folks in our midst.  But the song was so beautiful that I had to find it on YouTube and thankfully it was there, being sung by Sam Cooke as well as many others

This was that good music that got your parents and grandparents over.  Times were so hard for black people back in the day, and the struggle continued.  This music touched the heart and strengthen the soul.  I feel good listening to Sam Cooke’s very beautiful voice right now.  Times are hard again for black folks and our struggle keeps on continuing.  We been fighting for a mightly long time, haven’t we?  But to fight is our only choice!  So that’s what we do, and from time to time a little bit of good soul stirring music–the old fashioned kind–helps us to stregthen ourselves!  Please enjoy Sam Cooke as he sings from the heart.

1. Sam's Neph says:

Sam is the epitome of a legend; the songs he made more than 50 years ago still sound good today. Thanks for featuring him here.Erik GreeneAuthor, "Our Uncle Sam: The Sam Cooke Story From His Family's Perspective"www.OurUncleSam.com

Thanks for visiting me! This song really touches my heart and I keep coming back to my blog to take another listen! Well I keep coming back to my blog anyway, but now I have a reason!!I'll be visiting your site right now.

What!???! That song by Luther??That's Sam's song! I didnt know that!!

4. Sam's Neph says:

You must be talking about "Havin' a Party." Yep, Sam not only sang it, he wrote it too. If you listen to the song closely, you can hear Lou Rawls' distinct vocals in the background.

5. I've enjoyed this post very much!

6. Qwami Ade says:

I just love when Sam overemphasizes the word I(if eyyyyyyyyyyyyye could just touch the hem of his garmet eyyyyyyyye know….) You've really taken me down memory lane on this one. Believe it or not I've been sittin' on(procrastinating) on posting a very similar post for the past 2 week. It kinda creeeeeeeped me out when I saw your post. Bet yuh didn't know eyes an old school back in the day Gospel junkie too. Don't make me break out my Ira Tucker and the Dixie Hummingbirds up in here!! ahuuuuhahuuuuuh…..my moma luuuuuuuved me,love me like a rock!!! Excellent post!!

@It's because we is twins, brother!That's why its creepin' you out!You are a true music connosieur!

8. Qwami Ade says:

One of my favorite aspects of Old Black Chuch music was always that far distant look in "they" eyes when they would plow(the slower the better) into a long drawn out intro to a song. I'm sure you've seen those photos of Mahalia when she has her hands clasp and she's gazing off and up into that far far away place with the expression of wonderment/joy/pain. Come on chillin let's sing!!!!

Yes, Qwami! She certainly was looking to the place of glory, ready to "Move on up a little higher"!! Yes little chillen, let us sing to ease that pain and touch the hem of His garment!