A Beautiful Black Love Story

He slows his pace to meet her grace
He carefully listens to her truths
As he punctuates them with his facts
He looks down into her face
And sees his own reflection
And is satisfied

While shopping the other day, I saw a beautiful black couple, slowly walking up and  down the aisles of the store as they pick and chose their items.

“Baby, how much is THAT one?”
“Well momma, THAT one is $1.79”
“Well how much is the OTHER one?”
“They’re the same, momma, this one is $1.79 too”.

As I moved through the aisle, I crossed their path and was able to pick up on a snippet of the conversation they were having.  I thought they were as beautiful as a work of art; more beautiful even than the art created by my favorite artists.  The couple was a moving picture of profound black beauty.

“Which one do you want, momma?”
“Well, baby, I prefer this one right here, because it’s the best one.”
“O.K., let’s put that one in the basket.”

Then they passed me by, unaware of how intently I was observing them.  So I continued to shop until I meet them again in the next aisle.   This time, I stole a glance at her.  She had a beautiful face, slightly sagging and slightly darkened in the hollows of her cheeks, yet still smooth; the handiwork of Time.  I passed them and continued to shop.

In the next aisle, I stole a glance at him and saw her face again; this time young, firm, unwrinkled, yet serene and patient.  I went pass them again and continued to shop.  As I made my way around to meet them for the last time, I watched as he very slowly, lovingly and patiently spent his time with his grandma, possibly his great grandma; helping her shop, being her eyes for the small print, the ears for her voice, being her comfort and companion, being her protection and backup–meeting her at her speed, slowing down his youthful vigor to meet her fragile wisdom.

They truly were the most beautiful black couple I had ever seen.

1. This is indeed a wonderful and heartfelt love story. Reading it..made my day.

Thanks sister, I’m glad that it did!

2. kekemichel says:

Life Is A Dance! It is about movement and attitude. Of course, how we dance in life has much to do with the dance or dances we have been taught. What you observed, and have shared with your readers, is a graceful dance. That matriarch’s progeny was taught a beautiful dance. What a wise thing for us as progenitors to do–teach our children how to dance a beautiful life, with understanding that life is a stage, and you never know who is watching. Just like you were watching them while they were just being natural and loving–in public. It is amazing what we witness in the grocery store! Thank you for sharing that window to a beautiful view to our world and culture.

~Peace,
    KeKeMichel

You have just given me a new way to look at their beauty! As a dance through the aisles, a very very wide looping ballroom dance of beauty!

Thanks, sister! I will be thinking of them for a very long time.

3. Have mercy! You two sisters, KeKe and Anna have a way with language that not only tells a story or relates a feeling well but does it in such a way that it leaves an indelible imprint on the reader. I’m one who believes that thoughts and ideas become a part of the universe once written or uttered. As Maya Angelou stated that in the future humankind will be able to measure and reveal the impact language has on us just as at one time we were made aware of the power of air and radio waves.

I’m humbled, sister.

4. Made me smile 🙂 Thanks for observing and sharing this story of true love and caring in the works

You’re welcome MsAfro!

5. Mads says:

Such a lovely post – thank you for sharing! x

Welcome Mads, and you’re welcome!

6. Reminds me of my Grandma. Eloquent story– thanks for the blessing!!!

Grandmas ARE blessings

7. Nicole says:

Beauty is all around us isn’t it, when we just pay attention. I enjoyed reading this and the time that this young man spent with his grandmother is indeed priceless! Thanks again for reading my blog and being the first follower. Much love!

Yes it is, and I’m going to pay it more attention! Thanks Nicole

Love is such a beautifully diverse concept & when it comes in an unusual package, it’s all the more intriguing and inspiring.

I love YOU, Sista West-siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide.

That’s it. That’s all.