How NOT To Fall Out of Love With Black Folks

Katrina Portrait I
Image by iMatthew via Flickr

I’m speaking to us black writers.

Blogging for the souls of black folk is difficult.  Yet it’s a noble thing that we do.  We write about black upliftment because we are fully invested in it.  We desire to contribute to the patchwork quilt that is our beauty.   We know that our part will only add more fullness to our black narrative.  So we sit down in our different places in the world to weave together the story that is us.  It’s a deep love for our people that moves us to write.

Even though this writing is difficult, we take it on anyway.  We do it for love, but we also do it to get to the truth, so we can share it with non-believers.  If we can persuade them to believe, we can continue to believe.   So we fight to make believers out of non-believers.   We click publish and watch for mountains to move:  self-hatred to end; poverty to stop; degradation to cease.  When we look up from our keyboards, we want to SEE the change our words have brought into existence.  We have to remember, though,  to always look in the right direction for the change we seek.  For our soul’s sake.

Unfortunately, I’ve witnessed a number of bloggers that I admire turn and face the wrong direction.   These writers are not weak!  They are steeped in the work of black empowerment.  They are activists, strategists, ministers, who also are writers and lovers!  Yet for a split second, they let their guards down and turned in the wrong direction.   I visualize how they were overwhelmed by the twisted lies they saw.

Maybe they were helplessly transfixed by the ugliness of it.   I can tell by the words they write that their spirits were damaged by it.  They were discouraged by the false vision of a tide of nameless, faceless black “masses” seemingly just beyond their influence, beyond their reach, inextricably lost.  Our influencers have now been influenced against us, and the proof is in their words.

We know the power of a positive reflection, and how it soothes our souls.  Our positive reflection renews our spirits and strengthens us to continue our fight.  But when we take a hit of the corporate media crack pipe, we disrespect ourselves.  When we turn in that direction, we will slip up. If we listen too long, the lies they say about us will penetrate our resolve.  We then will take up the false cause of fighting AGAINST their professional stupidity.

And this is their tactic.  To get you addicted to looking at yourself in their warped fun house mirror.  To distract you with their disgusting freak shows.  You are overwhelmed by all the foolishness, yet you can’t turn away.  You feel obligated to start fighting against it.  You start wasting your precious time and the power of your pen trying to make sense of nonsense.

And now you are at their mercy.  Are you able to resist the reflection of black self-hatred and turn away?  Have they made you question the validity of the truth?  Have you contemplated whether indeed your black people are your enemy?  The simple truth is that we each have varying degrees of imperfection.  We all are works in progress, each on our journey to becoming our God ordained best.  But you have fallen for the lie that black people are more bad than good, and more bad than others. You now blame black people for being black and stupid, lazy and ignorant.  But will you recognize that it is you who have been mentally crippled and your voice silenced?

Black love is imperative to the health of black people.  It’s the air we breathe and the food we eat.   Without black love, we can’t survive.  Black Love is what inspires us.   Black Love is our catalyst.   Black Love is the starting point and the finish line.   Black Love is what you do.  The more you do it the better you become at doing it.  And Black Love is the cure.  You need it to re-strengthen yourself once again.  Seek out black beauty – it’s hidden in plain sight.  Re-group.  Re-think.  Re-align yourselves.  Admit your mistake to yourself for believing the lie.  Forgive yourself for letting go of your resolve, for allowing them to penetrate your mind.

Apologize to the memory of our ancestors who continue to live through us, and who survived much more difficult times than these, just for us.  Seek the Lord as they did, for this is Wisdom.  He is the only way.  Re-acquaint yourselves with the history of our survival strategies and tactics.  Learn how we mastered making a way out of no way, and making a dollar out of 15 cents.  Re-center yourself and re-mind yourself of the reason that you write.  Purge, then re-solve again not to allow their poison into your system.

1. Beautiful.

What inspired this?

Love!

Jason’s Chocolate Manifesto, Lin’s Just Vampin’ to be Handsome, Curvy’s Moxie, Your Sharp Brilliance, PhillisRemastered’s careful rebukes of her white readers, WAOD anger, Crunk feminists talkin masculine of center, Amiri Baraka’s resolve,

All of us is what inspires me.

2. Melzie says:

Hey Anna Renee. I also see this from the perspective of a single Black woman who’s often bombarded with subtleties that aiming for mediocrity is all we are worthy or capable of. I plan to address this soon, but wanted to say that this excerpt sums up the most important action we must react to in order to stay true to ourselves…

“If we listen too long, the lies they say about us will penetrate our resolve.”

I’m looking forward to your writings my sister.

3. Beautiful ,your thought stirring. We are the sineaters Anne. Your observations are so on mark, I just say again, Ah.
    I hope you remember, I know you do, the tears that roll down your face as you work sometimes. For some of us it is a pain in the gut, for others it is a punch against the wall.
    Different ways we chastise ourselves, our lovers when they don’t seem to get it, it hurts, yes we hurt ourselves, blame ourselves, beg ourselves, then we pray, we pray to an a god so mixed up in the history, of our lost minds.
    The fight is rough, rough as any MIND FREEING effort can be, but we do whatever it is in love. Those slips into self abuse are sometimes don’t by some in a public forum, call it a public purging of the good, bad and ugly in us.
    Those of us that work our work as we do it from a conscienceness of REAL conscience, must also releave the pressure, also realizing we pray to the same god as the enemy…The have even sYOURSELFet the standards of how to pray when to pray, our those of balance and evenness is et by the realm we operate in, some at times we purge all thoughts of our dillema. YOUR PINCH OF ALERT IS ON TIME FOR SOME OF US, I hope we understand we must keep steady, watch the balancing act and LOVE YOURSELF, WE ARE NOT THE FAULT OF OUR SITUATION…NOT AT ALL! FLY ON SISTER ANGEL!

You know what gave me a great big lift? Watching Amiri Baraka read his poem, Somebody Blew Up America with a clear loud voice, and shaking hands. His resolve inspires me. Hearing Cornel say that Amiri’s writings have “added years to my life”!

4. What a beautiful post sis. Such an important message and all conveyed and written in a gentle, wise way.

You all are my muse.

5. LIn says:

Greetings SW:

DAMN IT! I’d written a very lengthy reply & them a freakin power surge made it all DISAPPEAR!!!!! *huffing & puffin* Thius will be decidely LESS lengthy:

We NEED SELF-LOVE Please, don’t get that twisted. I’m NOT referring to being SELFISH. That is already one of the causes of our own underdoing. But without the very real concept self-love then we are a crippled spirit, a crippled people… and a handicapped race.

Harriet was proud, pugnacious & pregnant with this concept. We need us some more Harriets & Fredericks walking amongst us nowadays.

Kind of hard to fall out of LOVE with someone who is willing to DIE for us.

This entry was beautiful & much-needed, Sista Westside. It moved me to (shorten my) chorus.

SJ!

Ooooh! Cyberspace ate your words! Breeeeevve my brother!! Your second set of words are beautiful, and so true. I’m seeking new Harriets and Fredericks all the time.

6. Amenta says:

Excellent post Anna Renee. Your style just flows.

Peace!

Thanks! 🙂

7. As always your use of the language and context rings true and serves as a wake-up call for all those who find themselves bombarded by the naysayers and as Beah Richards’ (one of my favorite actresses who transitioned) character Baby Suggs admonishes in Beloved… “Yonder they do not love your flesh. They despise it. Hear me now, love your heart.”

Blessings and Peace!

You have just inspired me to try Beloved once again! This time I just might be ready.

8. Oh I had my moments with Beloved as well and it took a few viewings months apart, however, there were a few scenes that I felt were redemptive and the one I took the quotes from was certainly one of them. 🙂

I’m gonna try again to read the book. I just prefer reading.

9. Actually the book is better than the movie.
    Peace..

10. Jason says:

“Black love is imperative to the health of black people.”

Brilliant and beautiful Anna!

I love the optimism and genuineness of your writing Anna. I felt inspired, hopeful and loved reading this, it’s time for a love movement, enough is enough, we need one another. I’m going to get as many people to read this as I can.

J

Thank you, young Jedi!

11. brothawolf says:

Very beautiful indeed.

Thanks Brothawolf!

12. Zhana says:

What you are saying is so true, Sis. It is so easy to be distracted by the ugliness of it all. And so important to focus on the beauty.

The ugliness may be provocative, and inspire us to fight for our rights, but if we take in too much of it, we endanger our spirits and can end up in a state of depression