Defiling God’s Temple

I have been working on my eating habits for the last three weeks and it has been quite a blessing.  On April 8th, Resurrection Sunday, I made the pledge to start eating a healthy diet that builds and sustains my life.  I want to be strong and live as long as God has given me to live.  We have the ability to live to a ripe old age and not be crippled and infirm in our strength.

Ephesians 2:21-22
21 In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord.  22 And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.

A few weeks ago, I wrote a post on two beautiful old ladies, Annette Larkins, and Mimi Kirk, neither of whom epitimize the American idea of what an old person looks like.  Though they both are 70 plus years old, they both are strong, fit, and “sexy”.  They both give vibes of youthfulness and vigor.   I went on their websites, and as I watched each of these ladies talk about their lifestyles of healthful eating, something dawned on me.

It appears to me that many of our “old” people stop growing mentally.  How can I explain this without sounding like an arse?  It seems that many of the elders become fixed at a certain time and a certain point, beyond which they don’t go.  It seems that their consciouses are not expanding, but rather they are  just maintaining at a certain level.  These elders aren’t bright eyed or bushy tailed.  That mental sharpness seems to be dulled, and all of their energy is used in the fight to keep from  becoming sick at any moment.  But when I watch Annette Larkins and Mimi Kirk, I quickly forget that they even are 70 plus years old.  It’s not apparent in their dispositions, much less their faces.

I don’t want it to seem that I have prejudices against the elderly, because I don’t.  That is not what this post is about.  But when I look at Annette and Mimi, I realize that elderly people don’t have to be stuck somewhere using walkers, canes, hoverounds and chairlifts.  If but for the foods they have eaten for a lifetime, they could be fit and strong, rather than weak and infirm.  Too often, elders are the victims of their weakened health – physically, mentally and even spiritually.  Lack of good food seems to compound in negative results.   But the thing about it is that it was never meant to be that way.  It comes down to the choices we make.  If we would choose to eat live foods, we would have more life and more abundantly.

1 Corinthians 3:16-17
16 Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple  and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst?  17 If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person; for God’s temple is sacred, and you together are that temple.

As I was thinking about all of this, I was reminded that our bodies are the temple of the Living God, and are holy and set aside for God’s use.  If this is so, then we who are believers in God should take care of our bodies, so that we have the power and strength necessary to do the work that God calls us to.  The power is in our own hands, because God has given us the ability to choose to take care of ourselves.  He has given us all of the good foods that our bodies need to maintain long healthy life.  Do you all remember Jack Lalanne?  He always looked so vigorous and ready to jump right out of his skin!  He was manic about health, and he lived to be 96 years old.

After years of eating junk, and drinking too much milk and cheese and bad meats, I have decided that I will take God up on His offer of good health simply by eating fresh fruits and veggies, nuts and seeds.  I won’t say that I will never again eat meat, cheese, milk, or junkfood, but I have been adding more and more fruits and vegetables to my diet.  In these three weeks, my palate has cleared and I can’t even stand the taste of many things that I loved so much before.   I found out that I LOVE raw sweet potato, grated with apple cider vinegar dressing.  The sweetness of the sweet potato and the tang of natural apple cider vinegar is food nirvana!   I love dates and replace cakes and cookies with them!

God is so good, that He has allowed us the choice.  We can choose to keep our bodies healthy with the abundance of food that He has provided us – fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds, or we can choose to eat the engineered foods  created for the sole purpose of making huge profits for greedy corporations.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20
Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

When I was a young adult, I remember hearing stories about temple desecrations.  Every so often, back in the day, thugs would go to a Jewish temple, under the cover of night, and spray paint it with swatiskas and pentegrams and other markings,  thus desecrating it.  In the light of day, keepers of the temple would find the defilement and contact the media.  A story would be done in the hopes of finding the culprits, but these people were seldom ever found.  After the story was run, and we would hear no more about it, the keepers of the temple had no choice but to clean up the mess, and life would go forward.

If God has said that our bodies are the temple of His Holy Spirit, then when we choose to eat junk food, and choose not to eat fresh nourishing foods, are we then defiling God’s temple?  Personally speaking, I no longer want to defile God’s temple, which I am.  I want to clean up the mess that is my body, God’s temple and move forward in health.

1. Amenta says:

Yes we are. I also agree that after a time period in most people’s lives they stop learning. Maybe it becomes a burden on them to work so hard and come home and again focus the mind on something other than entertainment, whatever that may be. Quite understandable yet we are at a time that will not allow for this. All we really have is our bodies, and if one really really really believes the body is the Temple, then that believer is obligated to study what keeps the Temple clean and sturdy for the “Spirit to dwell.” Sadly, too many people are stuck in the saying of Jesus’ that it is not what comes into the mouth that defiles a man, but what comes out…Maybe this has been misunderstood and mis taught as Jesus held to strict dietary laws.
    Out battle field is not what most of us think.

Peace

Yes, my brother. Do you think some mistake what Jesus said to mean we can eat any doggone nasty junk we think we want to? No, Jesus was making a point about following the spirit of the law rather than the letter of the law.
      And some think this is a free pass to eat pig’s knuckles and hog maws, and ears, white bread and every kind of cheese and butter and pickled fried pork rinds. No, that’s not what Jesus was saying.
      A recent article reveals the attitude of some when it comes to their choice to eat whatever they think they can.

There is the natural, then there is the spiritual correlation. I know that we are the spiritual house of the Lord, but our natural bodies are the vehicles. If we are sick and run down, we cant do a thing that the Lord is calling us to.

But as there is good clean natural food for the natural body, then there also is good clean spiritual food for the spiritual body. Jesus also said, I have food that you all know nothing of. (paraphrase). That “entertainment” we are watching and listening to might just be killing us. Pick up a good book instead. Read about your black history. Stop wasting time with RHoA. I’m just saying.
      Start watching Nubia I’s channel. (She’s the sister in the red dress in my sidebar) She talks about EVERYTHING we sisters deal with in our lives.

Sometimes, it takes a real health scare (much like the one I had last year) for us to make dramatic changes in our lives, in the way we eat, exercise, and exist. There are so many impurities out here, tempting us & making it difficult to set forth the correct choices. However, being a very goal-oriented, somewhat anal person (something I’ve just recently discovered), I’ve been able to give up cigs, sodas, white bread, french fries, hot dogs, TV dinners, most processed foods, ice cream & most sweets. It’s definitely worthwhile to live healthier… hard sometimes, but ultimately worth it. And slowly but surely I’ve begun to reclaim the deed to my temple.

p.s. I hope you’re drinking PLENTY of H2o!

Take back the deed to my temple! I love that!!!

And yes, H2o is my kryptonite. I have a hard time remembering to drink it. Since I’ve been eating fresh fruits and veggies, I will get a headache when I neglect my water too long. The fresh fruits will clean out your system and many people end up with cleansing reactions. Headaches, breakouts, gas, bad dreams, irritability, etc. I’ve gotten a little of that eczema I had two years ago. But it’s under control. Flushing the system and taking it slow on the fruit juices and doing more vegetable juices is the key.

The junk causes problems when it goes in and when it comes out. So I’ve been pouring a glass and setting it in my kitchen as a reminder. When I pass it by, it’s alluring, so I’ll drink it, room temp and all. I have to do this 8 times a day, until I automatically get my water in. I’m learning.

3. Yes our bodies are the temple of God and we do have a responsibility to take good care of our temples. I changed my diet four years ago because I wound up in the hospital with high blood pressure. I nearly lost vision in my left eye. An operation partially restored my sight but if I had stayed away from the potato chips, junk food and salty snacks I would still be able to drive today. Yup, I learned the hard way by having my life pass before my eyes in the Hospital E.R. But I was given another chance. Pretty much I stick to my diet. If I go off the diet too long or forget to take my medication I know I’ll be saying hello to the guys in the white coats!

So except for birthdays, holidays and the occasional party I keep to my new lifestyle. I also exercise several times a week. Fortunately I’ve been blessed with good genes as far as looks so nobody believes I’m 53 but I found I could not rely on great DNA to have quality of life! Water is my best friend. I drink water all throughout the day and night. Thanks to my lovely “Hot Flashes” water has become my salvation!

I agree that being a life time learner is another key to aging well. Thank goodness I work for a museum where the artwork presents it’s own mental challenges. Constantly having to answer visitors questions keeps me on my toes, plus I write essays on various exhibitions. Mental stimulation and challenge can keep one living a longer than expected life even with a disability. Stephen Hawking, case in point. Look at how long this man has lived with ALS (Lou Gehrig disease) when most people afflicted die within a couple of years.

I also wanted to add a YouTube video that indirectly partners with your discussion on why human beings need mental challenges & stimulation.

Fascinating! So there IS a God gene!

1. Here is another resource to expand our minds and outlooks. I’ve purchased two course and am very satisfied. College courses without having to attend class. I’m a person who needs constant mental stimulation and challenge so this is great for minds like mind, that don’t seem to have an ‘off switch’. http://www.thegreatcourses.com/greatcourses.aspx

This website looks very interesting. Thanks for the link, Deborah.

1. Anytime. To paraphrase Agatha Christie’s, Hercule Poiret, “We must use the little grey cells!”

Yes! Yes we must! lol

2. Amenta says:

Along with eating raw, it is most important to detox the body.

You wont believe this Amenta, but I just soaked my nuts last night! Unsoaked nuts are hard.

*stares straight ahead*

2. Amenta says:

Yes there is a God gene. Also there is a book entitled The God Gene Decoded.

I’m walking to the library today, so I’ll see if they have it. I’m also looking for womens wisdom books as well.

I had been snacking on raw almonds, and it was rough on me. Just last night I read about soaking the almonds so as to release something (I forgot what) which makes them readily available for the body to digest.

Oh yeah, enzyme inhibitors.

1. Amenta says:

The Great Cosmic Mother is a great read for both women and men…LOL I will start soaking my nuts as well after checking out this video too.

I forgot The God Gene when I went to the library yesterday, but I got the Great Cosmic Mother, which I realized that I read about 20 years ago. I was surprised to see it on the shelves. I also saw J.A. Rogers World’s Great Men of Color on the shelf. Back in the day, you couldn’t find those books on the shelves – they were always being stolen from the library.

I aspire to be a juice co-creator! Yaaas! I love that! Thanks a million for that video, my brother!

Nice post Anna Renee.

Personally, I’ve got a wait problem, I can’t wait to eat. I struggle with not eating like a dog and working out, but I do it because it’s the healthy choice.

6. blackmystory says:

This post is solid gold Anita. Thank you for being an example by being an example. We currently are existing upside down in Amenta (Kemtian explanation for heaven as westerners think it) but we must over stand though that the descent into hell (heaven and hell are two condition in our lives) begins as soon as we come out of the garden of Eden (the womb). Our parents start conditioning us for failure, by having us do “stuff” instead of taking us and leading us into hue-man beings—not becoming, not already been, but being. Continually evolving and growing and completing the circle back to the creator as whole and as pure as our DNA mandates it. They tell us no, you can’t, bad, negative reinforcement over positive enforcement. We also carry with us the recent ancestor memories from our sojourn on the plantation, when as prisoners of the colonialist wars, we are feed literally feces and lots of it to give the appearance of fatness, thus upping the sales on the block. If and when we die, they just replace us anyway. Picture the modern day factory farms and you get the picture. Along with the change in your diet, do you also realize that not only is your stomach shrinking, but hunger is held at bay? I remember you mentioned that Dr. O’Afrika was intense, but I reference him to remind everybody that eating today is more an emotional exercise, not a physical one, that’s why our organs get bloated and eventually fail from over work and limited rest (fasting).
    I love what you are doing and looking forward to see your video testimonial at 70 and fabulous.

peace

Yes!! I intend to be fit and fabulous at 70!!! God willing.

Brother Dr. Afrika was VERY intense, but I’ve watched a couple of his videos, and he’s got so much information, that I have to overlook and overstand that intensity. Sometimes the truth doesnt come packaged with pretty bows and flowers.

But anyways, I have done a bit of research and find that many people feel that the healthy diet is too expensive to maintain. Interestingly, you mention if I notice that hunger is at bay. YES! I can eat one apple and be good for a meal. I going to do a post on that aspect soon. It’s not really that expensive, when we realize that we wont desire to eat so much.

Last week I went to my Farmers Market and there were those sellers of the delicious spinach bread thingies. Looks like a giant flatbread pancake filled with spinach stuffing. They were hawking these things so hard, before I knew it, I ate three samples (with cilantro, spinach, and some other type pesto dipping sauce) They nearly shoved the samples down my throat. It was about 10.30am and I already had some fruit I think. But those small samples filled me up right there. Of course I bought the flatbread pancake thingy. They told me it was vegan, but that thing messed me up for an entire week. It was the white flour pancake of it. It was not cool.

It seems that now that Im eating raw foods, my body is demanding a total commitment. I love grits but now I have problems. I love fried fish but now it doesnt taste right anymore. But my brother Ensayn Amenta introduced me to Sister Karyn Calabrese, and she’s a raw food goddess! She gives me ideas for good food.

I’m doing good. All thats left is to get that VitaMix.

7. blackmystory says:

Oh Snap! look out Anna Renee is not only talking but she sure is walking tall strong and committed..Lol! It’s unfortunate that you experienced this, but for the past 20 some odd years first the cadaver industry and now other lesser but unscrupulous felons are trying to leech off the healthy lifestyle industry by talking stuff about, sugar free, lactose free etc, etc. You will get to a point where you will assiduously check out every ingredient contained in everything you eat and will eventually find your self preparing your own foods. Just as long as you don’t carry around your own cooking and eating utensils…you will give the rest of us fanatics a bad name, lmbao.

Just a suggestion if you can get a collective of like minded people to start an organic/vegetarian/healthy lifestyle collective, you can begin to grow your own garden and or work with farmers ( I think there are a few real ones left in North America ) where you can get non frankenfood. If you can you can set your part of the world on fire.

😀